Miriam King, Miami-based creative and Education Consultant, and Culture Shock Miami are seeking a cohort of courageous creatives who are ready and willing to participate in complex discussions addressing issues in today’s society, through an artistic lens. Participants will work towards social justice shape-shifting through the vehicles of arts advocacy and activism. Join us for a transformational summer as we seek positive, effective ways to REIMAGINE A PATH to post-racial society.
There is no charge to participate in this program, however, your availability and commitment to do the work is the precursor to participating. An informational session will be held on Monday, July 13; the meeting link will be sent that morning. Sessions will take place from Tuesday, July 14 through August 13, 2020, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. The project will conclude with a final performance to be shared with family, friends, and the community.
• Week 1: Owning Your Truth - A deeper look into the role society plays in the way we see it
• Week 2: Who Am I? Personal development that leads to social experiment
• Week 3: Conversations and content creation - Turning passionate dialogue into performative demonstration
• Week 4: Checking the work: What has helped? What still hurts?
• Week 5: Virtual Community Performance
• Be between the ages of 16-22 (rising high school junior to rising college senior).
• An estimated time commitment of 6-8 hours per week for program participants.
• Commit to attending 2 online sessions per week, Tues and Thurs. from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
• Additional commitment of 1-2 hours per week for creative reflection and group collaborations.
• An active, individual email account.
• Internet connection AND access to a virtual meeting platform (Google Meet or Zoom).
• Ability to access, download, and upload materials from Google Drive.
Miriam 'Mimi' King is an education consultant and artist. She advocates for the arts, and holds space for others to create their own pathways to self-advocacy activism. Her entire professional career has been dedicated to literacy and arts education, self-advocacy and academic resource development for youth, educators, arts programs and institutions. Her entire professional career has been dedicated to literacy and arts education, self-advocacy and academic resource development for youth, educators, arts programs and institutions.
King facilitates healing through restorative justice programming that supports active listening, social experimentation, critical dialogue and thinking. Miriam is a native of Miami, Florida and has deep ties to several of its communities, youth and their families. She is well loved and respected by her students, colleagues and peers, and known for her sharp wit, wisdom and sense of humor.
Learning is fun everyday with Ms. Mimi because she teaches us about life! Z.J., former student